Grandparents Rights: Legal Right To Visitation

Grandparents rights are essential if your family dynamic has changed, and you desire an on-going relationship with your grandkids.  When something major such as divorce or the death of a parent occurs, a grandparent’s relationship with their grandkids can be affected.  If in the event that a parent tries to limit the amount of time the kids spend with their grandparents, it may be necessary to hire an attorney to file a petition with the Court to get grandparents rights and access to visit your grandchildren again.

Grandparents Rights Are Important To A Continuing Relationship With Grandchildren

The family law attorneys of Juris Law & Mediation have successfully helped grandparents in Kansas secure visitation with their grandkids after life-changing events.  Under Kansas law, grandparents have the legal right to ask the Court to order visitation with their grandchildren.  The grandparent asking for visitation has the burden of proving to the judge that a relationship exists, and that visitation is within the child’s best interests considering their health, safety, and general welfare.  If grandparents can successfully prove they have or had a substantial grandparent-grandchild relationship and that visitation is in the best interest of the child, then a court may allow visits.
You should know that there is a significant financial aspect in asking the court to grant grandparents rights visitation.  Grandparents are held responsible for their own attorney’s fees, the attorney’s fees of the parents, and cost of a Guardian ad litem if the Court orders one to represent the interest of the child, and all the costs associated with the proceeding – unless the judge decides it would be unfair based on the parents’ behavior (which rarely happens).  Typically, these attorney’s fees are almost always ordered to be paid by the grandparents, so these cases can be both costly financially as well as emotionally.
We know that family dynamics and relationships are hard, and keeping those relationships intact is important.  With years of experience, our team is dedicated to helping you navigate the legal system.  If you are looking to secure grandparents rights in Olathe, KS, Johnson County, KS or in the Kansas City Metro area, contact us today to schedule a consultation, or feel free to call us at (913) 764-8844 to discuss your visitation rights.